Sunday, February 28, 2010

Are you trapped?

Sometimes, life can feel like a trap. Every day is a struggle and you don't know which way you should go or what you should do. Most days you feel like you have no options and you rail against the trap you feel you are in. So, I got to thinking about this visual image of a snare. A simple snare that one might use to trap a small animal like a rabbit. When a rabbit initially gets caught in the snare, its first reaction is to struggle and fight for freedom --- to get out of the snare and run away. Far, far away. A snare is a simple design - it's greatest strength is that it is light, simple, easy to set up and, the best part, the more the trapped animal struggles, the tighter the snare becomes. And so it goes with life. The more you struggle against the trap you feel you are in, the tighter the trap closes in around you. There is no freedom in the struggle. Check out Psalm 91:3...."Surely He will save you from the fowler's snare". Hmmmm, makes you think, right? The message I got from this is not to struggle when you feel you are trapped. You need to lie still and wait for Him to come and undo the snare that has you trapped. That is your only job: lie still and wait for Him. Which leads me to the next Psalm. Read Psalm 46:10..."Be still and know that I am God." These two verses speak to me in my current "trap" of unemployment and the black hole of an unknown immediate future. I shall lie still and wait for Him to undo the ties that bind me.

1 comment:

  1. Proverbs 3 has been of great comfort for me in such times. Excellent blog Melinda! We all have so much to be grateful for in a world that seems to always be trying to convince us otherwise.

    -- Chris (yes, that Chris)

    ReplyDelete